when it comes to beauty, hair and make up products, i don’t use a lot of them. i wish i had some sort of fancy skin care routine because it’ll probably save me a whole lot of wrinkles and issues in a few years, but i’m also kind of lazy and can’t handle more than five or ten minutes in front of the mirror each morning with my routine. to this day, even after several hours of make up and hair classes we were required to take during my dancing days at juilliard, i still struggle with simple stuff like eye liner. so i just don’t bother. ha! i swear, if you just stick on a little lipstick each day, you’ll feel and look put together even if you don’t have a touch of eye make up on! it’s my biggest secret. (or maybe i’m not fooling anybody but at least *i* feel put together…) but lipstick is a whole other blog post, because i could go on and on there…
sometimes when i’m asked about what hair and make up products i use each day in emails or comments, i feel like i’m tricking you! because i don’t know what i’m doing, so why would you ask me! but hey, it’s fun to pretend every once in a while like you’re an expert, so i thought i’d share what i do love and use in my everyday. there aren’t many, just five. and here they are!
1. YSL concealer stick this is hands down the best concealer stick i’ve found. after washing and moisturizing my face in the morning (i’m a cetaphil and aveeno girl for my face soap and moisturizer- nothing too fancy) i just dab a few dots of this stick under my eyes and blend it in with my finger. i was born with some very sleepy/purple-ish bags under my eyes and this stick helps conceal them better than anything else i’ve tried over the years. they have a few different shades, i use shade #2.
2. brow powder (and this brow brush) over the past few years, i’ve grown out my eye brows and fill them in a bit with some brow powder. i love the look of a fuller brow, and have loved this powder. i apply it with a brow brush.
3. sacha juan intensive hair oil maybe it’s because i’m a serial-hairstyle-changer, but i can’t keep one style or hair color for very long because it’s just too fun to change it up! so this hair oil has been saving my life since i put my hair through a lot. i use about a nickel sized amount and rub it into my ends every evening before i head to bed, whether it’s wet or dry. it doesn’t make it greasy, it just absorbs through the night.
4. dry shampoo this is my other hair product that i can’t get enough of. my hair is on the oilier side naturally, and while it’d be cool to go like 7 days without washing my hair like some girls, that just isn’t in the cards for my head of hair. but, i sometimes get away with 3 days thanks to this stuff. it’s a powder base, so i sprinkle a bit into my bangs or roots on day 2 and day 3 and i’m done! it also lasts forever. i’ve been using the same canister since april and i’m still running strong.
5. shellac manicures my last big beauty product is definitely my biggest splurge, but as someone who usually picks at and bites her nails, it’s been a life saver. shellac gel manicures. i don’t want to go back to a regular polish manicure, since it takes so much time and usually chips within the next day or two. a shellac gel manicure will last me two solid weeks without chipping or cracking when i get one. and since there are nail salons on every other block here in the city, i’ve been able to find them on the cheaper end, so it’s not too terrible. it’s also become my me time, heading to the salon every few weeks for my manicure, so i really enjoy the entire process more than most might.
do you have any beauty products you can’t live without?