i am still figuring out life in manhattan with two little babes in tow. i have friends who get around this city with 3 or 4 kids all on their own so i’m always feeling more inspired and brave as time goes by. there are days where i’m like, i’ve got this! and also days where i’m like, towel thrown! but getting out everyday and exploring the city together sure is fun. and in my opinion, i’d rather be out and about with the kiddos than inside our tiny apartment all day long. (i really believe it’s easier!) fresh air and sunshine – they’re kind of a mama’s best friends. ;)
i thought i’d share 5 simple things i’ve found to be my little life savers when it comes to handling this city with two in tow. 5 things that prove to help make life a little bit easier on me as the mama:
1. just forget the cute heels and embrace the flats. i’ve finally learned, flats are your friend! i walk miles around nyc each day and have worn out a lot of shoes and seen a lot of pretty blisters. these (which you can often find at jcrew outlets for less) and these and these are proving to be my favorite flats these days.
2. never leave home without your bleach pen. because the day you do, will be the day you need it.
3. keep an emergency snack in your bag for you. i feel like i always have a bunch of snacks with me for my kids, but while food is practically my favorite thing on this planet, sometimes i forget to eat until i feel this hole in my stomach because i’m so busy running after my babes. carry a granola bar or apple in your bag for you… otherwise you might get stuck eating your baby’s puffs in a moment of starvation (and unless they’re the sweet potato ones, we are talking bland!)
4. prep the night before! looking somewhat put together when you go out means having time to get ready before you go. since my kids wake up early and i am still not a morning person, most of my prepping happens the night before (after the kiddos are asleep!) that’s when i shower, when i prep my diaper bag or food for the following day, and everyone’s clothing. it’s just easier to do this in the calm and quiet of the night rather than in the morning when there are two monkey’s pulling on my legs and chanting “mama! mama!”
5. it’s OK to ask a stranger for help! there may be the occasional dude who walks through the door with you and then slams it shut hitting your stroller’s front wheels because – i don’t know – he thinks chivalry is dead and can’t hold it open until your arm can reach it… but for the most part, i am always blown away by how kind strangers can be on the street, so often happy to help in a moment of need. samson might drop a toy from the stroller and baam! two people are rushing over to pick it up before i can even get to it. the elevator is out of order at a train platform downtown and i might feel stranded at the steps with my double stroller, but i can bet at least 4 people will offer to help me carry it up the steps. even if someone isn’t lending a hand, and you feel you might need one, don’t be afraid to ask. i have asked people in line with me if they wouldn’t mind holding something while i readjust something else or if they could hold that door open a second longer, or slide over a little so i can fit into the subway with my kids, too. and for the most part, everyone is so kind and happy to help. it makes my day to see others offering a hand and makes me feel like i’m not alone in my attempts to get through the day with my hands full.
what are your survival tips for living life out and about with little sidekicks in tow?