she had compiled 25 of her favorite christmas stories and 25 christmas challenges into a small booklet and sent it to each of her children as an early gift. she asked that we read one christmas story each day, along with completing one christmas challenge each day up until christmas day.
i loved this whole concept. especially her christmas challenges. alot of them are very simple things– so it’s very sad that i needed to see some of these challenges in print to actually focus and think of them…. i’m so guilty of being wrapped up in “me” right now. i admit i’ve only completed a few of these challenges so far, but i’m making a goal of carrying them into the new year– and throughout the year.
incase you’d like to join in….
- go out of your way– befriend someone today that needs a friend and follow through to christmas
- tell someone you love them
- make a tree decoration that will remind you of Christ
- in your prayers today, give thanks for every blessing without asking for anything
- try to be as kind as possible to others today
- try not to quarrel with family members today
- do a good deed anonymously
- make goals for yourself– seal a copy in an envelope to be opened in a year
- visit someone sick or lonely or sad
- do volunteer work for some worthy cause
- do something fun for a child or younger sibling
- try to forgive someone who has wronged you, be reconciled
- make a “give list” instead of a list of gifts you’d like
- improve yourself in some way to please the Savior
- quietly reflect and choose uplifting activities vs shopping
- phone or send a card to an old friend or family member
- listen to Handel’s Messiah
- make a christmas treat for someone else
- be a calming influence today and control your temper
- accept the gift of forgiveness– pray for some weakness and ask for help in repenting of it
- look at christmas lights… where does all light come from?
- sing carols
- do something nice for someone without their knowing it was you
- be the first to say hello to people all day
- ask someone to tell you about a past christmas